Thursday, June 9, 2011

An Unexpected Guest

This morning, while Ricky and I were taking a walk, a yellow lab who had obviously gotten out of his yard decided to join us.  He wasn't wearing a collar, so I didn't know who he was, where he came from, or where he belonged.  He was really muddy, and friendly.  So friendly, that he followed us all the way home.  The walk was pretty challenging.  He and Ricky seemed to be instant pals, and Ricky seemed annoyed that I was holding onto his leash.

I dropped Ricky off at home so he could take a little nap after all of the excitement.
what a morning!
I walked with Buddy (that seemed like his name) to where he first started following us, hoping I would find his owner out looking for him.  I knocked on a few doors, but no one answered.

So I asked Buddy to follow me back home and told him he could just hang out in the yard. 

Buddy was just a little too big and a little too puppy acting to safely play with Lucy and Ricky.  When Lucy and Ricky out to see him in the yard, they quivered beneath my legs as he pounced around them.  I felt like if they took off running across the yard, he would chase them- all in good fun- but someone might get hurt.  Someone, being Lucy and/or Ricky.

Lucy and Ricky spent most of their morning in their crates and Buddy had to stay outside alone.  Although, honestly, I was outside with him most of the time because I could tell he was lonely.
Buddy- AKA Bo
pretty exhausted after the great escape


Thru my neighborhood lost dog hotline, we were able to get Buddy, who is actually Bo, back to his rightful yard.  It ends up, Bo's owner is out of town and a neighbor is taking care of him.   Last night, Bo suffered some pretty severe separation anxiety and tore up the house.  So this morning, he was put out in the yard.  Once everyone had left for work,  he found a way out of the fenced yard, and his collar fell off during the escape.  I'm so happy his owner will be home later this afternoon.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Aww...you were a good friend to Buddy/Bo, and he looks like a sweetie. I'm a little concerned about the neighbor just leaving him in the yard, but I'm glad he's okay.

Marie a la Mode said...

Awwww, poor Bo! I, too, am glad his owner is back soon. Have you seen the movie "Wendy and Lucy" with Michelle Williams? This story made me think of it. I watched it last night and cried my eyes out!

Kerri said...

no, i haven't seen that movie- since lucy is in the title, i just may have to!

just an update:
bo's owner SUCKS. he got out AGAIN the next day. ends up, the guy doesn't want him and was embarassed to admit it (he should be!!) so my super cool neighbor is in the process of finding him a much, much better home and dog parent!

Valerie said...

I don't understand people like Bo's owner. Why not take him to a shelter or ask around to see if anyone wants to adopt him. Instead he'd rather neglect Bo and risk his being lost and then possibly injured???? Ugh!

Also, Wendy and Lucy is a good movie--I also recommend it! :o)