Friday, June 17, 2011

Fishy

The pups and I got invited over to our neighbor's pool the other day.  I'm so excited for them to move beyond the kiddie pool we use in our backyard and onto the adult pool!

I couldn't get pictures of them while they were in the pool, because my hands were quite full!  They both got in by stepping on the very big, shallow step.  Lucy was a little more spunky about it than Ricky.  He's a cautious boy, but there is nothing wrong with that!  He got brave and was walking around on the step, and then fell off at the one edge of it that doesn't have a step beyond it, but instead goes right into be the official swimming area.  Oh no!  His head went under!  But it was very brief, because I was right there to help him get his bearings straight.

He and Lucy both did a little dog paddle stroke by the time we were done.  The falling off the step episode was pretty scary for little Ricky, but I wanted to make sure he got in and was successful.  And he was!
"Swimming made us tired and thirsty!"
But later that afternoon, after the Ricardos got up from their naps, Ricky was sputtering.  I don't know what other word to use to describe it.  Sputtering. It sort of sounded like throwing up and coughing.  And in fact, he did throw up a little.  Just bubbles and grass.  He ate his meals fine, played with Lucy as usual, but he would hack that weird little cough every now and then.  Later in the evening when I put him in his crate to sleep, I took a bath.  And since my bathroom is right next door to his bedroom, I could hear him.  Sputtering.  And I was getting more and more worried!

Well, I am a bit of an over-protective mother at this stage and I do way to much Googling!  My ipad was right next to me, and the next thing I knew, I was perusing the internet about "water in lungs- puppy".  (Water in lungs?  Yes, somehow I came up with that!)Very scary stuff!  I got out of the tub, got Ricky and coddled him for hours.  I even got him up in the bed with me and Fermin which is typically not allowed.  By Fermin, obviously.  Not me.

Fermin was tired- of me, and just from his long day at work.  He's also not a worrier by nature.  So he told me to put Ricky in his crate- that he would be fine.  Reassuring me that Ricky had been eating, drinking, breathing fine and would get it worked out, whatever it was.

And thank god!  He was right!  The next morning, Ricky was as good as new. 

So we all look forward to our next swim.  I'll keep my eye out for Ricky a little better this time, and there will be know "head under water" swimming--- only doggy paddle!
"I'm a survivor!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Louie did the same thing when he first learned to swim. Scary to watch but it's part of that learning curve with babies. Now we can't keep him out of the ocean! Glad to hear your pups are getting their swimmer's legs and having some doggie fun!

Happy Father's Day to Fermin :) woof! woof!